Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Stratford Workers' Compensation Lawyer
Free Consultation Available En Español
Stratford Workers' Compensation Lawyer > Stamford Workers’ Compensation Claims Lawyer 

Stamford Workers’ Compensation Claims Lawyer

You’ve been injured while at work. What do you do now? Your first step is to report the injury to your employer. They should contact their insurance company and start the claims process.

The process is not always so straightforward though. Things can happen along the way. You may experience delays and denials. Don’t deal with these problems on your own. Seek legal help from a Stamford workers’ compensation claims lawyer from Morizio Law Firm, P.C.

Workers’ Compensation Claims FAQs

Get answers to commonly asked questions about workers’ compensation claims:

  • How long do I have to file a claim? You have one year from the date of the workplace accident to file a workers’ compensation claim in Connecticut. However, it’s best to report the injury to your supervisor or manager immediately. The sooner you file, the sooner you’ll receive benefits. Plus, if you wait past one year, your claim will be denied, regardless of whether or not it was a valid claim. You’ll need to file your claim with the Connecticut Workers’ Compensation Commission. Don’t expect your employer to do this for you.
  • What benefits am I entitled to receive? You are eligible to receive compensation for medical bills and lost wages. Generally, you are entitled to 75% of your net average weekly wage. You are also entitled to vocational rehabilitation if you cannot return to work.
  • Is there a waiting period before eligibility begins? There is no waiting period for medical or hospital benefits. However, there is a three-day waiting period for total or partial incapacity benefits.
  • Does my employer have insurance to pay workers’ compensation benefits? They should. Employers are required by law to carry workers’ compensation insurance. If not, then they must file a Certificate of Self Insurance. If they do not have insurance, they will face substantial penalties.
  • What happens if my employer disputes my claim? You can schedule an informal hearing to discuss the situation and try to resolve the dispute. Many employers deny claims to save money, but you can always appeal the decision.
  • What happens if my employer or its insurance carrier refuses to pay compensation? The Workers’ Compensation Commission will schedule a formal hearing. The Commission will then issue a legally binding decision.
  • Can I be fired for filing a workers’ compensation claim? This is called retaliation and it is illegal under federal law. Your employer is not allowed to penalize you in any way. If you have faced retaliation, contact a lawyer to understand your legal rights. 

Contact Morizio Law Firm, P.C. Today

The workers’ compensation system can be tricky to navigate. Have questions or concerns? The right legal help can make all the difference.

The board-certified lawyer at Morizio Law Firm, P.C. can answer your questions and guide you through the workers’ compensation system with ease. Call 475-338-3505 to schedule a consultation with a Stamford workers’ compensation claims lawyer.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn